I'm trying to eat more healthily these days in an attempt not only to lose weight but also to live healthy. I read somewhere that the more fat stored around the woman's belly/hip area, the more at risk she is to reproductive diseases. Since my curves are more generous in those body parts (I come from a family of booty-full women) I really must watch out what I put in my mouth.

Now anyone who knows me well knows that I'm not really fond of veggies. When I was a baby my Mom mixed chopped and mashed tomatoes with my formula milk (I wasn't breastfed). She said I was weaned on tomatoes but when I grew older I started developing an aversion to it - along with the green, leafy veggie family - for some unknown reason. I really don't know why.

But then I discovered hamburgers, and I ate the tomatoes and the cucumber and onions and everything else  stuffed inside it. And I love it. So I really wasn't as averse to them as I thought.

Lately I've made an effort to eat more greens. So whenever I'm out with friends, I'd force myself to ignore the rich, meaty meals on the menu and concentrate very hard on the salad portion only. After eating Carmen's Salad at Gabby's Bistro (one of my favorite restaurants in the city) for the first time a couple of weeks ago, I was surprised to find myself craving for more. I love the fact that Gabby's offers options to mix and match your greens and the dressing and what you want in it. So far, I'm loving the combination of croutons, parmesan cheese, olives, mushrooms, tuna and salad vinaigrette. Ah, heaven. I never thought veggies can taste that good. I'll have to take a pic of it next time I eat there.

The one pictured above is the Tuna Ceasar Salad from Shakey's. It's not really that healthy, I know, since they only serve it with the fattening dressing. But it's the lesser evil compared to their pizzas and pastas.

So in keeping with this post's topic, my first Friday Finds are all green-related. Below are some links to salad recipes I found via Pinterest which I'm thinking of trying in my own kitchen (someday hehe):


 Crisp Tuna Cabbage Salad | The Kitchn [ link ]

 Simple Salad | One Domestic Darling [ link ]

 Linguine della via di Grotta | Green Kitchen Stories [ link ]

 Marinated Vegetable Salad With Que Fresco | My Recipes [ link ]

 Thank you to Pugly Pixel for the frames, plaid overlay and label shape. Scalloped border courtesy of Atomic Cupcake 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello! :-) Feel free to drop me a line or two. Or more. :-)